Wednesday, February 29, 2012

And it is Leap Day!!!

And I either got through to Karl about what Leap Day is and why it exists (there's a saying that there is no man-made institution that doesn't have a purpose, and I have yet to figure one out that doesn't have a purpose), or he's tired of hearing me yap about it.

This is one of those fantastic things about homeschooling your kid - you can harp on something until they get it, which is not something they do in public school.

How I explained it to him was that the earth doesn't know our calendar, it is something we made up, and it's not perfectly lined up with the seasons. If we didn't do Leap Day, in a couple hundred years, we'd end up with Christmas in the Summer, like they have in Bolivia, and Bolivia would have Christmas in the Winter, like we do now. He understands their seasons are the opposite of ours, so I am hoping that he does understand, and not just telling me he gets it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment